There’s nothing worse than trying to eat healthy, yet getting caught out hungry – on the road, work, school …whatever. Store bought protein bars are EXPENSIVE, not to mention full of unnecessary additives and way too much sugar! The really good ones are costly and not offered at most stores either. **sigh**
Here’s my quick, inexpensive solution for a healthy snack or meal option…
Optimal combination of all 3 critical macros – lean protein, complex carbs and healthy fat!
Baked Oatmeal Bars
Prep: 10 minutes
Baking time: 30-35 minutes
Equipment: Large mixing bowl, spoon, spatula and 8×8 inch baking pan
- Preheat oven to 375 F / 190 C / Gas Mark 5.
- Grease 8×8 pan with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together applesauce, oats, shredded coconut, flax seeds and cinnamon.
- In the same bowl, add melted coconut oil and maple syrup thoroughly combining all ingredients.
- Slowly pour ingredients into baking pan, pressing down firmly and evenly with a spatula (no air pockets)
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown and firm to touch.
- Let cool, then place in the fridge for 2 hours to SET.
- Cut into 8 bars – 4 lengthwise and then halfway.
*Oatmeal is usually gluten free, but sometimes processed with gluten products. If you are gluten sensitive or have a gluten allergy, be sure to buy oats that are “gluten free.”
Delicious on their own (my daughter eats these for breakfast)! Or, better yet, I prefer them with almond butter, adding extra protein, vital nutrients and healthy fat. You can also crumble the bars into yogurt, spread with homemade jam, or use to top your favorite ice cream (vanilla comes to mind). 🙂
Healthy snacks don’t need to cost the earth…this quick, no-nonsense recipe will save you loads of money and time! Feel free to try my other recipes and subscribe to my blog! Enjoy!